Coronavirus - updates and advice for contact lens users
The current eOpticians.co.uk summary of the coronavirus situation and our tips.
Last updated: 29-04-2020
Summary & advice:
- There is an international coronavirus epidemic, that is yet to get worse
- We recommend you stock up with contact lenses and related products for at least a 3 month period.
- Certain contact lens products (daily lenses , peroxide solutions) are safer than others, but might not make much of a difference.
- Shop online, ask for home delivery, try to stay in the house as much as possible
- Make sure you have glasses you could switch to. Some people also wear glasses or sunglasses to prevent infection. It can help, but most probably not much.
- Follow the hygiene recommendations.
- Never reach your eyes with unwashed hands.
- Daily lenses are more hygienic than monthly or biweekly lenses, so many companies recommend that you switch to daily lenses for this period of the epidemics.
- It is important to use a good solution with your 2-weekly or monthly lenses. The safest are the peroxide cleaners, which have been shown to be effective against coronaviruses. However, according to eOpticians, there is only a slight hygiene benefit.
- People who suffer from dry eyes are recommended to switch to eye drops with a higher percentage of hyaluronic acid or with herbal extract, which will reduce the itching sensation, therefore you will feel the need to touch your eyes less often.
- According to the American Eye Society, the virus can also cause conjunctivitis therefore, health personnel are advised to protect the mouth, nose and eyes. Because conjunctivitis can occur in many other cases, professionals are concerned that ophthalmic surgeries and on-call services may increase significantly, and therefore ophthalmologists may be more susceptible to infection.
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose and mouth (the so-called "T-zone" and its surroundings)!
Updates on operational situation
- Contact lenses - no issues. There is a big shopping spree, and some products may run out of supplies.
- Contact lens solutions - no supply issues
- Eye drops - no supply issues
- Glasses - Most Chinese factories are available or operate at reduced capacity. Some Italian factories are in operation, though we might not be able to source all the products.
- Sunglasses - Most Chinese factories are available or operate at reduced capacity. Some Italian factories are in operation, though we might not be able to source all the products.
Orders, customer service, logistics
- Web Store - Works as usual
- Customer Service - normal schedule
- Logistics - Works as usual
- Postal deliveries from our Central European Warehouse to the UK - We noticed delays for all our parcels sent in this period. Also, tracking information is not always updated although parcels are travelling.
- Postal deliveries from our UK warehouse (for selected solutions and eye drops) - works as usual, small delays might appear
- International Postal Deliveries - we currently don't ship to Cyprus, Malta and potentially other countries also. The post office is unlikely to ship to these countries: USA, France. Some cities are closed in Austria, Italy, Portugal and Spain.
Follow our regularly updated tips at eopticians.co.uk/coronavirus, where we will publish new information that is useful for the epidemic.
Photo credits: freepik.com